DISCLOSURE: THIS POST MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS, MEANING YOU’RE FUNDING MY MOZZ STICK & CHERRY SLUSHIE ADDICTION (Not enough commission to move to Ireland) WHEN YOU CLICK, AT NO EXTRA COST TO YOU. Thank you, girl!
Every new year you have these plans and resolutions to eat healthily, drink more water, or work out more but one culprit we never contribute to our bad health is makeup. Now, I?m not telling you to never wear makeup, but to instead choose natural options that can give you the same results. Cruelty Free, vegan, or organic makeup is better in comparison to products with all those unhealthy ingredients in them. Here are the 3 ingredients you should avoid and 3 natural products to replace them with. I hope you enjoy babes!
3 Unhealthy Ingredients to Avoid
- Parabens are synthetic chemicals used as preservatives in products such as shampoo, deodorant, conditioner, lotion, lipsticks,. if you see methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, and isobutylparaben in any product you use, it contains parabens.You may ask yourself why you should be concerned about parabens. Well, The non-profit campaign for Safe Cosmetics reports ?Of greatest concern is that parabens are known to disrupt hormone function, an effect that is linked to the increased risk of breast and reproductive toxicity.? For more information: www.scientificamerican.com/article/should-people-be-concerned-about-parabens-in-beauty-products/
- Siloxanes Siloxanes are silicone-based compounds that are generally used for their softening, smoothing, and moistening action. They are found in products like deodorant, foundation, face primer and are known for leaving skin more soft and silky. There are two common types of siloxanes known as D4 and D5. ?They are toxic, persistent, and have the potential to bioaccumulate in aquatic organisms – meaning it is nearly impossible to destroy and can build up in the fatty tissues of marine animals like fish when exposed to the aquatic environment.?Similar to parabens, D4 has been known to interfere with human hormone function, which in turn decreases fertility and reproductive health. D5 when in high doses has been found to cause uterine tumors and may influence neurotransmitters. Here?s what to look for: Dimethicone, Decamethylcyclopentasiloxane, Amodimethicone, Cylcotresiloxane, Cylcopentasiloxane, Cylcohexasiloxane, Cyclomethicone.Source for quote: www.reflectionsorganics.com/pages/how-to-know-if-your-makeup-is-toxic
- FormaldehydeYes, Formaldehyde. It?s hard to believe that any of these three chemicals have been found in products that we use on a daily basis. So what is Formaldehyde exactly, and why is it used?Well, Formaldehyde is used as a preservative in makeup, skincare, and nail care products. It is a known carcinogen that is linked to asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity.
3 Natural, ?Healthier? Replacements
- Replacement for parabens in lipstick: I personally suggest Bite Beauty. They are an all-natural, cruelty-free lipstick company. Their lipsticks are pigmented and don?t leave your lips dry. You can buy their products from Sephora, Macy?s, Amazon, Beautylish, etc..Website: www.bitebeauty.com/
- Replacements for siloxane in foundations:The one i recommend is by !00% Pure and it is called the Fruit Pigmented Full Coverage Water FoundationThe ONLY drawbacks are the price and shade range. They currently only carry 19 shades, but I was able to find my shade perfectly fine as a Black woman. Where to Buy: www.100percentpure.com/products/fruit-pigmented-healthy-foundation
- Replacement for Formaldehyde in shampoo:Carina Organics Non-Toxic ShampooThis product is 100% vegan, sulfate-free, 100% natural, made with organic ingredients. They also offer an ?extra gentle? formula for babies. You can get this awesome shampoo for $9.99 on their website.